History of Farmers and Drovers Bank
Enjoying a prospering economy in 1887, the Bank’s Board of Directors began to discuss plans for a new bank building and they purchased the lot at 201 West Main Street. Economic conditions declined in the following years and the Directors did not further the discussion of a new building until March 8, 1892.
At the annual meeting that year, the Directors voted to erect a suitable bank building
on the east 25 feet of the lot purchased in 1887. On May 10, the Board adopted
plans and specifications submitted by Emporia architect
C.W. Squires. Local building contractor F. Roussellet
constructed the building for a contract cost of $10,130.
Actual costs nearly doubled the estimate and the final
construction totaled approximately $20,000.
The new building was painstakingly designed to be
an impressive structure and to give preference to
local contractors. Several local craftsmen provided
their expertise to the construction: Lewis Peterson
laid the brick, Jack Jones completed the stonework,
and F. Roussellet and his son Joseph crafted the
oak woodwork. The furniture for the new building
was made in Garnett, Kansas.